Thursday, July 19, 2012

What I've been up to....

I'm fickle with furniture.  We have lived in this house for two years, and have already gone through an embarrassing amount of tables and couches.  This was the first living room arrangement.  The couches have changed twice since then!


We finally settled on a baby and dog-proof leather couch, but the dining room has remained an issue.  I refinished a hutch and buffet, and I have a slight obsession with them.   Here I have the before and after of the hutch (I forgot to take before pics of the buffet).





Presently they are paired with Jeff's old four top bar table.  This table has served us well I the years past, but the style doesn't work, it's impossible to hold the baby and eat since there are no arms or backs,  and there is a giant crack down the middle.  Our problem is that a new table needs to be small with the potential to open larger for our future home.


While perusing Craigslist recently, I found a table that fits the bill!  It is a forty  inch round that opens to a whopping 96 inches.  We picked it up from a German Army wife looking to downsize before a move to Kentucky (small world).  She and her husband purchased it about twenty years ago from a little old lady's estate sale.  Prior to the sale, it had been in that family for two generations.  There is just something about vintage furniture.  I love that each piece tells a story,  that you can put your own spin on it, it's environmentally friendly, and usually the price is right!

(the table top has already been sanded...what is with me always forgetting "before" pictures?!)

(Imagine more dings like this one on the top...that's what it looked like)

Minus some dings and scratches, the table itself is in good shape. Four of the chairs required some tlc to make them structurally sound, and I'm still fighting with one of the arm chairs. 



I won't disclose how I plan on refinishing the set, but I will tell you that Jeff picked the color.  It might be a little while before it's done, it seems I'd rather cuddle than paint!

No comments:

Post a Comment