Sunday, February 19, 2012

I have a confession...

I think I have a blanket problem-- as in, I can't stop making them.



If you know me well, this may not come as a surprise.  You see,  I had a favorite blanket as a child.  It wasn't an "it,"  the blanket was a "she" and her name was Binka.  Binka lived in my bed for shamefully too long.   I didn't sleep in the fetal position, cradling my blanket-- Binka was more of a extension of my pillow, providing the most perfect neck support one could imagine.  It wasn't until I got married that I was forced (more so by my mother than by my husband) to part with Binka.  I'll spare you any photos of my most prized possesion (mainly because she resides 700 miles away in a special treasure chest (literally) at my Mom's house).  In my memory, this blanket was the most beautiful thing in existence, but for years anyone who had the pleasure of seeing Binka outside of my bed was terrified. Not until my most recent trip home did I realize what they saw.   She no longer contained any batting, the lace trim looked more like moth-eaten dryer lint, the pink and yellow flowers were long gone, and the original quilting had vanished.  Not to mention, Binka is riddled with holes.  For years, I saw past my blanket's grotesqueness--I remembered the tea parties she attended, the comfort she provided as she was being soaked in my tears, and the fears she alleviated when I was certain that there was a monster under my bed.

While I don't wish that my future child sleep with a blanket until it is no longer acceptable to do so, I firmly believe that every child needs the perfect blanket.  In the past year I have made a couple of my favorite new babies faux chenille blankets using a tutorial by MADE, and I just knew that my little guy needed one too (despite the fact that I have already made him two perfectly adorable blankets already).



I ventured to Joann's with high hopes for the fabric but was thoroughly disappointed in the fabric selection for little boys.  I was envisioning a super graphic print for the plain side, but no such luck.  After traipsing though the store for entirely too  long, I settled upon a pale green striped flannel.  I was happy to find some solids that coordinate pretty well with the Backyard Baby collection.

Using my silhouette, I added an "E" to the plain side before delving into my hours of straight line sewing and cutting.


I hope the baby finds at least one of these to be the perfect cuddling blanket, but it's pretty likely that I'm not finished with blanket sewing...



1 comment:

  1. What a great entry. You're not only an unbelievable seamstress-(crafter?), but a terrific writer. I'd love to meet Binka someday. The new blanket is adorable. You know Carrie already wants a quilt and a ruffled crocheted blanket. I think she'd love the chenille one too!!!

    ReplyDelete