Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Procrastination

While digging through one of my numerous unorganized piles of random belongings in my house yesterday,  I came across a quilt that I started over a year ago.  All that was left to be done was hand stitching three quarters of the binding.  Now,  I do not consider myself to be a procrastinator.  In fact, with my anxiety level, it would probably be catastrophic to my health to procrastinate.  I never pulled an all-nighter in college and usually had assignments finished a day in advance.




When it comes to quilting, most people would probably say that the quilting or piecing are the most difficult to complete.  I disagree.  I loathe hand stitching the binding.  This was probably the last thing I quilted without machine stitching the binding, and may be the last thing I ever stitch by hand.

To date,  I have finished three quilts.  I found the tutorials for this quilt and my pinwheel sampler on p.s. i quilt.  To this day, I am still impressed that I made a twin size quilt.  I have aspirations of making a queen size in the near future.  It just may get sent to a professional quilter to be quilted.  I'm not sure that my 14 year old $100 sewing machine could handle it.

Twin Size Pinwheel Sampler quilt

  Anyway,  I have been keeping this unfinished quilt in a rarely opened closet.  It was when I was looking for some batting to make some extra burp cloths that I came across it.  Every time I go into that closet, I feel like this thing is staring at me and it makes me very anxious.  But not anxious enough to actually tackle it.  Well, this time was different.  I have been thinking that some couch-based crafting was in order since I'm usually confined to the couch with the little one anyway.  So I took the plunge.  It took me an entire day since I had some cute little interruptions, but it's finished!  Since my hubby keeps the house on negative five degrees, I have been snuggling with this lovely each night since it's completion.  


The quilt's new home on the couch

Cute little distraction

The quilt pattern is synchronized squares from p.s I quilt.  The fabrics were some fat quarters that I picked up from Joann's a super long time ago.  I kept the quilting to a minimum so the quilt would be super fluffy.  I only quilted over the squares--some with circles, others with squares--all done free-hand.  

2 comments:

  1. Love the quilt, but am especially enamored with the "cute little distraction"! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete