Monday, January 16, 2012

Success!

After my major nursery wall art fail, I decided to go back to the drawing board.  Besides the running ink, I wasn't liking where the printed art was going.  I thought a good way to showcase some of the adorable prints in the Backyard Baby collection would be to use fabric on the canvas.  I thought I would give the Silhouette Cameo another try at cutting (since that is it's main function) and braved it with fabric.  As it turns out, the fabric is WAY easier to work with than paper.  When I tried cutting paper, I kept ripping my design when I attempted to pick it off the sticky cutting mat (patience and carefulness are not by best qualities).  With the fabric, ripping was not an issue.  I was also concerned because rather than using the Silhouette fabric interfacing, I just used the generic interfacing that I already had on hand.  After a little tweaking with the blade setting, it worked wonders!








I will post better pictures when they are actually hanging on the wall (which will be a while).

After cutting the designs, I actually ironed them onto the blank canvas (who knew you could iron onto a canvas!?  That was a bit of a scary thing to try).  Once they were stuck on, I sealed them in with Mod Podge, and the two on the right are both still wet.

On a side note, I ordered all of the fabric for the rest of the nursery today.  I'll keep you posted with my progress!

3 comments:

  1. You are so clever. I have never even heard of some of the medium you are using. So when are ya gonna give some classes.

    xxxooo Eleni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like crafting, I suggest you go pick up a bottle of Mod Podge at the craft store. It can do all sorts of things! I never know when I'm going to need my mod podge so I keep some around always! Hope Florida is treating you well--it was below 20 here the other night!

      Delete
  2. I love it. That is going to be the most precious nursery! The Silhouette Cameo is awesome. You continue to amaze. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete